Random Posts

Friday, April 23, 2010

Why don’t people read?

In a recent forum one person asked for a good continuation against the French Defense. I replied that for me personally the move I hated to see the most was the Advance Variation (1.e5 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5). In fact I disliked it so much I switched to the Caro-Kann only to discover the Advance Variation is popular against it also. The result was I switched back to 1.e4 e5.

The result was a plethora of comments advising me that the Advance Variation in the French holds no dangers for Black and that many White players recommend it and many Black players welcome it and that I was mistaken about its terrors for Black.

People read, but did not comprehend what I said. I am well aware of the fact that Chessbase shows in the Advance Variation a percentage result as +40% =37% -23% as opposed to +39% =35% -26% against 3.Nc3 and a +28% =55% -17% against 3.Nd2.

I never said the Advance Variation was bad for Black. I said I did not like playing against it. There are several reasons why and they amount to no more than a personal preference, not a misevaluation of the variation. Anybody who can read and understand the statistics in Chessbase can plainly see there’s nothing wrong with the Advance Variation. I just didn’t like playing against it. That’s all I said. How hard was that to understand?

No comments:

Post a Comment